POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL : Re: ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL Server Time
29 May 2024 01:55:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL
From: Wolfgang Thaller
Date: 15 Mar 2002 17:08:11
Message: <3c9270cb@news.povray.org>
"Gleb" <gk1### [at] sotonacuk> wrote:
> As far as I can see, there is no support for arrays.
> Is it true? And if so, is there any chance to get them somehow?

Yes, I have to admit, no arrays yet. It should be no big problem to
implement them. For big arrays, there might be problems with memory usage -
as VOP tries to save _time_ by not executing a POV-Ray script line by line,
it may waste some "space" (i.e., memory) by having to keep multiple copies
of a variable around - maybe some special optimisation would be necessary
for big arrays.
How do you use arrays in your scenes? I realize they can be useful, but I
never needed them for my own scenes.

"Mark Wagner" <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:
> I just realized -- if you were to add a file output mode to VOP, you'd
have
> a program that can convert POV-Ray scenes to other file formats.

Yes, that should be possible. I have already thought of that, but I had no
particular interest in any particular file format. All that's needed is an
exact specification of a file format and a viewer program to try it out.
Just like VOP itself, the converter would support no textures, however.
Is there any particular file format that you think I should put on my "TODO"
list?

Cheers,

Wolfgang Thaller